Installing Mac OS X v10.7
- Including Installation requirements, differences between HFS+, Fat32, upgrade paths.
Basic Usage and New Features
- Describing features of Finder, Dock, Spaces, Quicklook etc
- Locating OS version, build number using about this Mac.
OSX Boot Process, Startup and Login
- Defining boot errors for the Power On Self-Test, describing what happens during the Kernel load stage.
- Processes involved in loading up the system and logging in to a User Account.
Preferences and troubleshooting
- Locating, configuring and reconfiguring System Preferences.
Managing Users and Permissions
- Distinguish between the types of users, file and folder access and resetting passwords.
- File systems supported by Mac OS X, file and folder locations, search paths, Disk Utility and file repair.
- Introduction to Apple's built-in Backup software utility.
- How to configure and troubleshoot User Accounts using Parental Controls.
Applications and Troubleshooting
- Applications supported in Mac OS X v10.7
- Applications created with different developer APIs
- The UNIX concept of a process
- The relationship of processes and applications
- Tools to monitoring and managing processes
- Application preferences
- Boot Camp
Troubleshooting Tools and Tips
- Identifying OSX Utilities, repairing permissions using Disk Utility and ID a Kernel Panic.
OSX Networking, File Sharing and Internet Access
- Defining common network technologies, setting rules for mail accounts, sharing volumes and modifying the permissions on a file.
Basic Networking Theory & Troubleshooting
- Looking at how networking is implemented on the Macintosh
- Covering how the hardware and software combine and how to troubleshoot any issues
Networking Wireless and Airport
- Looking at 802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11g as well as Apple's hardware range of Apple Base Stations.
- A separate section Introduce the new Wifi standard (802.11n) and Apple's new hardware and software solutions which support it.
Printing and Other Peripherals
- Defining peripherals
- configuring printing in OSX.
Additional OSX Troubleshooting
- Describing the purpose of hidden files
- Troubleshoot iApps
- Use Apple System Profiler to detect an external device.
Troubleshooting Tools, Diagnostics and Utilities
- Introduction to OSX and third party troubleshooting tools and utilities
General Troubleshooting Theory
- Troubleshooting Goals an explanation of what professional troubleshooting should accomplish.
- Troubleshooting Steps a comprehensive review of the components of Apple's recommended troubleshooting process.
Apple iMac/eMac Overview
- Differentiate between iMac models and eMac, key features, firmware updates and proper take-apart skills
- Introduction to Apple Servers
- How to troubleshoot the hardware of Apple's High-End Servers.